In June 1997, 78 scientists from 19 countries joined the symposium Tourmaline 1997 and presented more than 50 contributions in a broad range of tourmaline research – mineralogy, crystallography, petrology, synthesis, geochemistry, economic geology. A wealth of new data from a wide range of environments was presented: systematic crystal-structure studies, spectroscopic work of all forms, compositional studies of tourmaline from a number of different environments, and new synthesis and phase-equilibrium studies, etc. The symposium were followed by a three-day field trip to many tourmaline localities in the Czech Republic.
Here are few pictures from the conference (if you want to share your pictures from the symposium, we will be happy to add them here):
The symposium marked the start of rapid development in the tourmaline research in all its fields. Papers published in the conference issues of the European Journal of Mineralogy (2/1999, 3/1999, 4/1999) and Journal of the Czech Geological Society (1-2/1998) include:
- Hawthorne, F.C., Henry, D.J. – Classification of the minerals of the tourmaline group.
- Aurisicchio, C. , Ottolini, L., Pezzotta, F. – Electron- and ion-microprobe analyses, and genetic inferences of tourmalines of the foitite-schorl solid solution, Elba Island (Italy).
- Teertstra, D.K., Černý, P., Ottolini, L. – Stranger in paradise: liddicoatite from the High Grade Dike pegmatite, southeastem Manitoba, Canada.
- Aurisicchio, C., Demartin, F., Ottolini, L., Pezzotta, F. – Homogeneous liddicoatite from Madagascar: a possible reference material? First EMPA, SIMS and SREF data.
- Pieczka, A. – Statistical interpretation of structural parameters of tourmalines: the ordering of ions in the octahedral sites.
- London, D. – Stability of tourmaline in peraluminous granite systems: the boron cycle from anatexis to hydrothermal aureoles.
- Selway, J.B., Novák, M., Černý, P., Hawthorne, F.C. – Compositional evolution of tourmaline in lepidolite-subtype pegmatites.
- Henry, D.J., Kirkland, B.L., Kirkland, D.W. – Sector-zoned tourmaline from the cap rock of a salt dome.
- Dyar, M.D., Guidotti, C., Core, D.P., Wearn, K.M., Wise, M.A., Francis, C.A., Johnson, K., Brady, J.B., Robertson, J.D., Cross, L.R. – Stable isotope and crystal chemistry of tourmaline across pegmatite – country rocks boundaries at Black Mountain and Mount Mica, southwestem Maine, U.S.A.
- Novák, M., Selway, J.B., Černý, P., Hawthorne, F.C., Ottolini, L. – Tourmaline of the elbaite-dravite series from an elbaite-subtype pegmatite at Bližná, southern Bohemia, Czech Republic.
- Ottolini, L., Hawthorne, F.C. – An investigation of SIMS matrix effects on H, Li and B ionization in tourmaline.
- Jiang SY – Stable and radiogenic isotope studies of tourmaline: an overview.
- Bilal E, César-Mendes J, Correia-Neves JM, Nasraoui M, Kazuo-Fuzikawa – Chemistry of tourmalines in some pegmatites of São José da Safira area, Minas Gerais, Brazil
- Pieczka A, Kraczka J, Zabinski W – Mössbauer spectra of Fe3+-poor schorls: reinterpretation on the basis of the ordered structure model.
- Povondra P, Lang M, Pivec E, Ulrych J – Tourmaline from the Přibyslavice peraluminous alkali-feldspar granite, Czech Republic.
- Broska I, Uher P, Lipka J – Brown and blue schorl from the Spiš-Gemer granite, Slovakia: composition and genetic relations.
- Pivec E, Štemprok M, Novák JK, Lang M – Tourmaline as a late-magmatic or postmagmatic mineral in granites of the Czech part of the Krušné hory – Erzgebirge batholith.
- Novák M – Blue dravite as an indicator of fluid composition during subsolidus replacement processes in Li-poor granitic pegmatites in the Moldanubicum, Czech Republic.
- Novák M, Selway JB, Houzar S – Potassium-bearing, fluorine-rich tourmaline from metamorphosed fluorite layer in leucocratic orthogneiss at Nedvědice, Svratka Unit, western Moravia.
- Losos Z, Selway JB – Tourmaline of dravite-uvite series in graphitic rocks of the Velké Vrbno Group (Silesicum, Czech Republic).
- Houzar S, Novák M, Selway JB – Compositional variation in tourmaline from tourmalinite and quartz segregations at Pernštejn near Nedvědice (Svratka Unit, western Moravia, Czech Republic).
- Žáček V, Petrov A, Hyršl J – Chemistry and origin of povondraite-bearing rocks from Alto Chapare, Cochabamba, Bolivia